Wednesday 9 July 2014

ACCESSORIES

"Shambala" male Bracelet Nigeria's newest trend   
I’m not one who fancies jewelry on men. For me, once I have my wrist watch and my cufflinks, if necessary, then I’m good to go. But now, we are beginning to see that even if you don’t buy the idea, you can successfully buy into the trend.
Throughout 2013/2014 we have seen bracelets take off and develop into a go-to accessory for style-conscious men, not only in the western world but now also here in Nigeria, where it is popularly known as "Shambala". From wooden beads to leather cuffs to metal bands, there is currently a wealth of options to actually choose from for those men who aren't afraid to confidently adorn their wrists.
Of course, just like any controversial trend, there are those who wouldn't give this new trend a chance; they tend to view the entire concept as feminine and a complete turn off to the opposite sex. That being said, it seems a large number of us are coming around to the idea of male bracelets.
I took the luxury of asking various friends, colleagues, and people at random,  and here are some of their opinions on this new male trend in Nigeria;

Henry Oqua: I’m not a fan of male jewelry but I’m a fan of wristwatches, sunglasses, cufflinks and the "Shambala" male bracelet. But I don’t wear it on the same wrist with my wristwatch. I wear it on the other. I hate it when I have a watch on one wrist and nothing on the other. My other hand feels naked and that was why I originally started wearing bracelets. I like the mixture of the different styles especially that of leather and metal giving me a rebellious look; and I like to coordinate them with my outfit.

Ibrahim Magaji: I wear only black wooden beads "Shambalas" cos they are more masculine. I only wear them with my wristwatch; I feel they are an extension of my wristwatch. I can only wear one piece - not a fan of too much accessorizing. I wear them to make a bold statement.

Aminu Baba: I am strictly a wristwatch person; they are just unorthodox for my taste, like boot cut jeans.  I find them to be a little bit feminine, but it may not be necessarily wrong for a guy to wear them and guys are wearing ones with skulls now, desperately trying to make them more masculine.

Fatima Yaro: I think it's cool; accessories complete a person's look/outfit. Also, Shambalas are not limited to a particular gender; it’s unisex. And to me, guys that wear it have style.

Sajida Buhari: I think for guys to wear them, it’s a sign of immaturity and somehow ‘razz’.If necessary, a guy should wear only one piece with a watch and of mature colours.

Ahmed Alkali: In my opinion, I think male bracelets are a must-have accessory, especially when dressing casual. Just make sure it's in natural earth tones, a bit rugged and manly. It usually adds uniqueness to an outfit. One should just know when to wear it. 

And to the average style conscious man who buys the idea and wishes to explore the world of wrist-wear or "Shambala" as popularly called, what are the key styles available this year?

Metal bracelets

Metal bracelets represent the most masculine wrist-wear option, largely due to their military connotations, especially the ID bracelets.
ID bracelets retain a sense of masculinity and convey a notion of tasteful rebellion with their sleek appearance. As they tend to be quite distinctive and chunky, they are best worn as a solo piece. The best way to wear them is on your free hand rather than weigh down the same wrist with both your watch and metal bracelet.         
As with everything, it is important to wear it with confidence; especially with metal bracelets, work under the concept that less is more. No one wants to give off the appearance of a hoodlum.
Beaded bracelets


Beaded are the most common styles of male bracelets. This specific style seems to be head and shoulders above others here in Nigeria, in terms of popularity.
It ranges from ethnically inspired wooden beads to high end crystal/ebony version, to statement plastic styles. The range of designs currently in offer is vast and provides something for every person's taste.
What makes them more appealing is the fact you can put together variety of styles to create a look that is completely unique and suited to your taste and compliments your outfit. Alter beads size, material and colour to create your own individual look. Whether you opt for timeless and monochromic, or bold and statement making, the beads bracelets can be used to inject an unexpected pop of colour into an outfit.

Nautical Trend Bracelet

It is no surprise that the nautical influence has been applied to men's jewelry. The nautical themed bracelet is the perfect finishing touch to any maritime or military themed outfit.
The nautical concept has been applied to wrist-wear in several different ways in recent seasons, from type of fasteners, to the use of rope and cabling, to the inclusion of nautical themed motifs and emblems.

Leather and Woven bracelets

Men are already used to wearing leather on their wrist in the form of wristwatch straps, so leather bracelet is not so much of a big step and maybe more appealing, especially to coming around to the idea of "Shambala" wearing. The positive aspect of leather bracelet is that it remains a sense of masculinity. Leather as a material is also refined and versatile. So depending on the size and style of the bracelet, it can maintain a sense of formality whilst at the same time appearing roguish and rebellious. Contrary to metal bracelets, leather can compliment and contrast beautifully with wristwatches.
Woven bracelets
The woven bracelet is another style that is currently experiencing resurgence in popularity, and they are often found in leather. The good thing about a woven bracelet is that fabric versions can be relatively cheap and come in a wide range of bright colours, should you want your accessory to pop and act as a point of reference for the whole outfit. Again, woven bracelets can be stacked and even combined with leather or beaded versions to create an interesting, visual effect without becoming too scruffy and unkempt.
In fact, whilst researching this article the woven variety appeared to be the second most popular style (after beads) and were worn by all types of men – from young street style muses to more mature professionals.



So there you go, proof that bracelets can be a stylish, considered accessory choice for the modern gent. And Of course, there will always be naysayers and critics but, as with all controversial fashion choices, generating a bit of controversy seems to only increase the popularity of a trend.

As always, we want to know what you all think. Are you already a keen bracelet wearer? Or do you shy away from jewellery altogether in order to avoid creating fussy, overdone wrists? Is there one type of bracelet that you feel deserves more recognition than any of the others? Is this the season you are going to finally give wrist-wear a go? Or is it still a "No No" for you?
                                                                                                                      By Mubarak Yaya Abubakar


2 comments:

  1. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan of wristwatches or something to just put on my wrist, now I see something I can put & have the feeling,a great stuff which is fashionable...it's awesome, i love it.

    ReplyDelete