Thursday 21 November 2019

I'M NOT GOING TO SHUT THE FUCK UP- CHIMAMANDA ADICHIE ON ADVOCATING FOR FEMINISM

Oops! We don't get to hear Chimamanda use these kinds of words every day.

Chimamanda is no newcomer to awards as she has received quite a number of them from prestigious organisations and higher education institutions across the world. [Imstagram/ChimamandaAdicihie]
Chimamanda Adichie says she won't shut up as she continues to advocate for feminism globally.

The award-winning author made this known on Wednesday, November 20, 2019, while receiving an award at the 'Equality Now.' According to the author, regardless of race, age, gender, or nationality dismantling gender oppression through feminism is for everyone.
Chimamanda Adichie says she won't shut up as she continues to advocate for feminism globally. [Instagram/ChimamandaAdichie]

"I was a feminist long before I knew what the word meant. Not because I read books but because I observed the world around me and saw how women were treated. Sometimes it can feel very lonely trying to prove that sexism exists, that we haven’t achieved basic equality for women around the world. Tonight is an oomph that shows me that it truly matters. I’m going to remember this night when people tell me to shut up. I’m not going to shut the f*ck up!” she said.
Chimamanda Adichie says she won't shut up as she continues to advocate for feminism globally. [Instagram/ChimamandaAdichie]

Well...Chimamanda has said it and we should get used to it because she won't be keeping quiet when it comes to dismantling gender oppression especially for women.

Equality Now honours individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the advancement of gender equality. Chimamanda is no newcomer to awards as she has received quite a number of them from prestigious organisations and higher education institutions across the world.
BY SHAMSIYA BARAU AHMED

No comments:

Post a Comment