Wednesday 11 January 2017

President Barack Obama Farewell Speech


Barack Obama rose to power as the country's first African American president with message of hope and boundless optimism for the future. 

US President Barack Obama on Tuesday night gave an emotional farewell speech to Americans. His speech reviewed his legacy as he encouraged supporters demoralized by the election of Republican Donald Trump to be optimistic about the future of the country. Here are some quotes from his farewell speech:

My fellow Americans, it has been the honour of my life to serve you.  I won’t stop; in fact, I will be right there with you, as a citizen, for all my days that remain

I am asking you to believe.  Not in my ability to bring about change – but in yours.   

In ten days, the world will witness a hallmark of our democracy:  the peaceful transfer of power from one freely-elected president to the next.  I committed to President-Elect Trump that my administration would ensure the smoothest possible transition, just as President Bush did for me.  Because it’s up to all of us to make sure our government can help us meet the many challenges we still face.

You’re not the only ones.  Michelle – for the past twenty-five years, you’ve been not only my wife and mother of my children, but my best friend.  You took on a role you didn’t ask for and made it your own with grace and grit and style and good humour.  You made the White House a place that belongs to everybody.  And a new generation sets its sights higher because it has you as a role model.  You’ve made me proud.  You’ve made the country proud.  

Malia and Sasha, under the strangest of circumstances, you have become two amazing young women, smart and beautiful, but more importantly, kind and thoughtful and full of passion.  You wore the burden of years in the spotlight so easily.  Of all that I’ve done in my life, I’m most proud to be your dad.   

To my remarkable staff:  For eight years – and for some of you, a whole lot more – I’ve drawn from your energy, and tried to reflect back what you displayed every day: heart, and character, and idealism.  I’ve watched you grow up, get married, have kids, and start incredible new journeys of your own.  Even when times get tough and frustrating, you never let Washington get the better of you.  The only thing that makes me prouder than all the good we’ve done is the thought of all the remarkable things you’ll achieve from here.  

And to all of you out there – every organizer who moved to an unfamiliar town and kind family who welcomed them in, every volunteer who knocked on doors, every young person who cast a ballot for the first time, every American who lived and breathed the hard work of change – you are the best supporters and organizers anyone could hope for, and I will forever be grateful.  Because yes, you changed the world.  

 I reject discrimination against Muslim Americans. America wasn’t weakened by the presence of newcomers; they embraced this nation’s creed and it was strengthened

No foreign terrorist organisation has managed to carry out an attack on US soil in the last eight years.

Change only happens when ordinary people become engaged and come together.

 Yes we can, yes we did, and yes we can

During his farewell speech, Americans were chanting Four More Years to President Barack Obama who has just few days before the president elect, Donald Trump will take over the mantle of leadership.

By: Pupwaya Timothy Dibal

No comments:

Post a Comment